Thursday, July 29, 2010

distractions...



This feisty little guy,
Rufous Hummingbird,
kept hitting the feeders on the patio and
did not allow any other hummers to feed.
And he also was quite a distraction for me.
After I took this shot...
...I realized this is why he fled in a hurry.
I don't think the beak of this finch will
allow her to have a drink.

I located the Rufous in the oleander.
He turned to the right,
and the sunlight caught his iridescent throat.
Then, as if he knew I was taking his pic,
he stuck out his tongue.

While the Rufous chased away other hummer's,
this female Anna's Hummingbird
visited the feeder.
I think I need to get the blinds and drapes
back up in the family room so I will
not be tempted to pick up my camera.
Back to work...

Thanks for stopping by today!
...Karen


5 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What fabulous shots! :-)

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

This is TOOOO CUTEEEE!!! I don't get anything done either with them, hehe... BUT you are SO lucky to have so many different ones!!! Here in Connecticut we only have the Ruby Throat Hummer... There are OOOODLES of them though!!! What state are you in??? How many different kinds DO you have??? Thank you SO much for this wonderful story,
Donna

Ann said...

Hi Karen~Those are some great shots of the hummers...just this morning I was attacked by 5 while I carried my little Oliver out back to use the bathroom. They can be so aggressive for such a tiny little winged creature!!
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel

Nini said...

We have a bully hummingbird that won't let other hummingbirds eat at our feeder. He finally got his come comeuppance when a bee chased him away though!

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I love hummingbirds. We do get them here but not very many. My hubs sees them more than me, so it is a family joke that I never see them!