Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fields of Gold... and a little sewing

After leaving the G & M Restaurant,
we headed north to Harford County, Maryland 
for a couple of days.

My photos from that area prompted me to locate this book
(gift from my good friend crazy)
and to do a little sewing yesterday.

 

...and this is what I accomplished!
It's fused, though, not my usual hand applique.
So there is some finishing to do
around the applique shapes.


☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ 

"Fields of Gold"
A farmer in Harford County planted 5 - 600 acres
of sunflowers for the birds... well, for bird seed.
The fields were not in full bloom,
but nevertheless beautiful.
They reached their peak a few weeks later.

(click pics to enlarge)










☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ 

A few more flowers...


The hibiscus above were average size.
Do you see the bee covered in pollen?

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Leaving Maryland,
we headed to Chincoteague Island, Virginia.
Did you read "Misty of Chincoteague" as a young girl?
Maybe it was just a mid-Atlantic sorta thing...

These were the hibiscus outside our hotel.
They are called dinner-plate hibiscus
and were at least 10 - 12 inches in diameter.
In hindsight, I wish I had put something
in the picture... like my hand...
to give perspective.
They were incredible!











☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ 

Thanks for stopping by today.

The journey continues tomorrow 
with our adventures on Chincoteague Island.

...Karen

5 comments:

Karen said...

Your sunflower piece that you are working on is wonderful! We don't see sunflower fields like that here in Florida but I remember them well from Ohio.

call me crazy said...

I love the sunflowers! And your wall hanging is going to be very cute! :-)

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE the flowers field!!!

Cheryl said...

First visit and I was hooked just with your header photo. Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures, especially from someone living is a desert! Hibiscus will survive here, but the aphids get every one of the ones I plant and I refuse to use chemicals. I'll be back.

orchidlover said...

Gorgeous photos and I love your wallhanging

Love and hugs Gina xxxx