Monday, September 20, 2010

♫♪♪♪on the road again...

No, I am not traveling again for a while...
this is the next part of our road trip.
(click pics to enlarge)

■  ■  ■  ■  ■  ■  ■  ■  ■ 

Leaving Chicago, we drove to
Breezewood, Pennsylvania for the night.

In the morning,
this praying mantis was looking for a ride, I think!
He even stayed on top of the truck
as we drove over to check out!  

This is what I miss most about the east.
Trees!  ... and rolling hills.

But, of course, the Rockies
have a beauty and grandeur all their own
that I love, too.
Home is here...




Most of the time,
the view out my front door is...
...well, except we usually don't have 
snow on the mountains.
Sometimes, it looks like this...
And sometimes, it looks like this....
during the rainy season.
We get our 8-9 inches of rainfall for the year.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

When entering Maryland,

specifically northern Frederick County,
we took a quick drive to visit three historic covered bridges.

All three bridges are listed on the
National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places.
They were built during the second half  of the 19th century
 and have been in use since that time.

This is the Roddy Creek Bridge.
It was the easiest of the three to photograph.

And the views below from the other side...












This is the Loy's Station Covered Bridge.


...and this is Utica Mills Covered Bridge.



I missed the Lancaster, PA covered bridges last year
when we were home for my niece's fall wedding.
We opted to visit Philadelphia instead.
Here is that post.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 

The next stop on our road trip was Arlington, Virginia.

...Karen

◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆  
I am linking with
for Blue Monday.


14 comments:

Linnea said...

You certainly saw a lot on your road trip! I love car trips...so much to see. You had a lot of blue skies along the way, too. Charming little praying mantis!! Enjoy Blue Monday...

Rajesh said...

Amazing variety of shots. Beautiful landscape, covered bridge and beautiful garden. Great post.

Annelie said...

I just LOVE the grasshopper!

Pie said...

Wonderful pictures. I also love the grasshopper shot.

Cheers!

My Blue Monday.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful photos and I love the view from your home. Just lovely. I live in Maryland and have missed seeing these covered bridges. I will have to try and find now.

SmilingSally said...

My mom lived in Frederick County, Md, so you brought me some sweet memories today.

Happy Blue Monday! Check out my book giveaway.

La said...

Beautiful pictures, Karen.

Happy Blue Monday! La

Diann said...

What stunning pictures!

Barb said...

Just wonderful pictures....thanks for sharing.

Donnie said...

Loved traveling with you...Have a Happy Blue Monday.

LV said...

I have read about these bridges, but never saw them. I would dearly love to visit your state and see all the natural beauty.

Joy said...

Beautiful photos, I really love that covered
bridge. Have a great week!

call me crazy said...

Love the praying mantis! :-) Sounds like it was a great trip!

Mel Cole of PA, USA said...

I like your warm pictures and it's nice to know that you're from Maryland.

I'm at my Heart's content blog. See ya!