Tuesday, February 15, 2011

a day late... Part 2 ~

So... if you recall,
I had gone on an extended sew weekend
with my friend Denise to her place in Alto, NM.
You can visit her HERE.

Adding yet another project to my
ever-growing pile of UFO's 
and UQO's
(unquilted),
I have started the
Sylvia's Bridal Sampler
with a group of friends.

My goal is to make 10 blocks,
(an entire row) at least, each month.
Denise and I were going to try that
other sampler... uhm, you know the one...
Dear Jane.
We will save that one 'til a bit later... LOL

Here are the blocks I have made so far.
A-1 ~ Mosaic No. 3

A-2 ~ Shoo-Fly

A-3 ~ Bright Hopes

A-4 ~ Posies 'Round the Square
(need to applique flower and leaves)

A-5 ~ Amethyst
I did not complete my January goal of ten,
so now I have 15 to do this month!
...and only 13 sewing days left.
hmmmmmm... never enough time!

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

Did you blog hop during the
"Be Mine Blog Tour" and
collect any of the cute patterns?
Here is one of those projects.
You can find the directions HERE
at Kim's Big Quilting Adventure.
There is an extra border to this table runner
but it would not have fit on my
family room coffee table.

And did you notice that sunflower afghan??
Isn't it lovely?
My daughter, Kate, made it for me
for my birthday.  I just love it!

We have a beautiful print of sunflowers 
in a willow basket over our 
family room fireplace.  
She found it for me a few years ago.
The afghan fits nicely in that room.

■  ■  ■  ■  ■  ■  ■  ■  ■  ■

During those frigid days the
beginning of the month,
the backyard had a new visitor,
and I haven't seen them since!


...AND a completely unexpected one!
Maybe Punxsutawney Phil is right!?! 

They shared a drink despite the
blustery winds and cold.

My DH removed the frozen block of ice
every morning during those days...
the flickers chipped away at it.
It was fun to watch.  

I'm glad those temps were not with us
for very long.
We put out extra bird seed and bells.

By doing that...
the "fed become the fed upon."

This sharp-shinned hawk has made
quite a few appearances in our yard.



■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ 

I hope your Tuesday is going well...
It's 76° ~ whoo-hoo!

...more later.

...Karen

10 comments:

Michelle May said...

Ooooooo fun blocks!!!
Love that sunflower afghan! Oh my gosh is that ever gorgeous!!!
The birdies are so sweet even though Mr. Hawk wants to eat them. Naughty birdie.
xx, shell

Barb said...

What a lovely afghan....

love your blocks as well....

Julie Fukuda said...

Thanks for those great bird pictures! I already took notes on the runner. Looks like craftyness runs in the family.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"Oh What an incredible post"... Oh Yes, Bad Mr Birdie Hawk"!!! LOVE your quiltings AND would your daughter share the pattern for her sunflower afghan. LOVE,LOVE,LOVE that SO Much!!!
Have a wonderful Valentine's Week,
Hugs,
Donna

Cheryl said...

Beautiful bird pictures, especially the small hawk. He looks like he was preening for the camera. Oh yeah, I love your Elm Creek quilt blocks as well. Fun to do a project with a friend.

Stray Stitches said...

Your blocks are beautiful! And your sunflower afghan is amazing! Thank you for sharing all of those wonderful bird pictures - you get such a wide range of birds in your yard - lucky you!

Karen said...

I don't want to get started on it but I have thought several times that I would like to make Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I will just watch your progress instead.

Sandie ~call me crazy said...

Beautiful afghan! Love the bird shots and your blocks are great! Love the fabrics you chose. Have a happy day!

Micki said...

I love your blocks for the SBS...It took me 4 months to make mine and it is on my main blog page. Have fun with yours!
Micki

Johnny Nutcase said...

76 degrees sounds great to me! Love all your bird friends!