Sunday, August 7, 2011

Timeless Treasures...

In an effort to take my mind off
"The Bane of My Existence,"
I thought a little thrift store shopping would cheer me.
While standing along side another shopper
perusing the used books,
I watched as she placed this one back on the shelf.
I waited a moment while she moved on and
then the book was mine!
As you can see, I have a few books by Emilie Barnes. 

When I opened the front cover, I read this:
Collective sigh here...

Upon arriving home, I shared the inscription with my Kate.
She said, "Oh, Mom, surely no young person married in 1990
(date at top of page:  1-5-97)
would / could write something like that for a 7th anniversary!"
So we imagined  Mary & Tony 
were seasoned citizens... 
possibly a widow and a widower,
 maybe long lost loves of yesteryear re-united once again.
A second chance at romance later in life.
♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦
I have enjoyed reading the book, and
a sense of nostalgia has been with me ever since.

The book,  Ms. Barnes writes,
"is a book about true treasure---
about the things we hold in our hand and
the memories we hold in our hearts.
It's also about the stories that make up our lives."

She encourages the reader, long before finishing the book, to
"dig through your storage boxes,
flip through those photo albums,
pick up items one by one and tell their stories to your children.
Dust off your pen or your computer,
pulling out that half-forgotten scrapbook,
working once more on that box of old hankies
you hoped (someday) to turn into a baby quilt
or those bits of yarn once destined
to be an afghan for your sister.
Your timeless treasures represent 
your true heritage of love and memory.
They tell your story---
a story that is worth telling.
Keep them close to your heart...
and then pass them on."
♦   ♦   ♦   ♦   ♦
Woven throughout the pages of the book,
are stories of her treasures...
of teacups and silver spoons,
quilts and other handmade treasures...
as well as those of friends and acquaintances,
neighbors and nurses, and her seminar attendees.

She writes,
"Our timeless treasures symbolize what we value most in our lives:
love, joy, beauty, hope, family.
A delicate cut-glass vase,
a brawny set of antique tools,
a child's drawing,
a grandfather's memoir---
any of these can be a timeless treasure
if it brings to mind your most beloved relationships,
your dearest memories,
if it inspires you to reach out and share your story." 

♦    ♦    ♦    ♦    ♦
In the end, all of those "things" we collect... 
well, they are just things.
But indirectly and sometimes directly,
those things when present while investing time and energy 
in loving others... well, that has the capacity to shape memories.
Every day is a timeless treasure...
♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦

Memories of my Granny were stirred when I found this set of tumblers.
I remember well having Cheerwine soda
served in these glasses at her house.
(Cheerwine is a cherry-flavored soft drink
produced by the Carolina Beverage Corporation, NC.)
It was always a treat as a child when visiting my Grandparents.
My home state of MD did not sell Cheerwine.

This pattern, Yorktown, was made by the
Federal Glass Company during the mid 1950's.
And yes... this is a set of 12!
Perfect condition and have probably never seen
the inside of a dishwasher!
And they never will at my house.
♦   ♦   ♦   ♦   ♦

So now you know one of the "things" I collect... glassware.
I'll share some more in the days to come.

How about you?
What do you collect and why?
Does the item evoke a memory 
of days gone by or of a loved one?
Do you then share that memory with your family and friends
to keep that love and history alive?

♦  ♦♦   ♦♦♦    ♦♦♦♦   ♦♦♦  ♦♦ ♦

Until next time...

"I'll note you in my book of memory."
---William Shakespeare


... Karen

3 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I guess that is why my kids wanted my quilt diary on a blog, so they could get the rest of the story. Oh, collections ... don:t get me started!

Cheryl said...

Beautiful post, Karen. Your glassware is beautiful. Sadly, I have no timeless treasures that I collect. I start a collection and then go on to something else...sounds like my quilting habits.

Sandie ~call me crazy said...

Oh I love your glasses! And the inscription in Emilie Barnes... sigh. ;-) Have a happy day! ♥