Monday, August 8, 2011

Vintage 30's...

During my thrift store shopping "therapy" last week,
I also snatched up these snack plates.
(click pics to enlarge)
This  depression glass snack plate set
was made by Federal Glass of Columbus, Ohio.
The art deco style pattern is called Columbia Clear
and was only made from 1938 - 1942.

I found among my UQO's (un-quilted objects),
this 30's fabric table topper.
I've been looking through this book...
... in hopes of finding a quilting pattern.
The pattern for the topper is not in this particular book.
It was a freebie from Marcus Fabrics a few years ago.
Deciding on a quilting pattern is the difficult part for me.
Any suggestions?

My "newest" snack plates do look lovely on this little topper.

Snack plate sets are something else I collect.
One day, I'll have to share the story of how this adventure started.
It was about 20 years ago at an estate sale.
I had no clue about the box of goodies I purchased for $30.
I'll save that for another post.

♥    ♥    ♥    ♥    ♥
Our movie is about to start....
The series that I am watching with DD Kate is
We began watching it through Netflix,
but their change in services and hubby's threat to discontinue service
prompted me to purchase the entire series and book.

♥   ♥   ♥   ♥   ♥

Buttons, buttons, buttons....
Do you have jars or tins or bags of buttons?
New and old???
Kate was searching through our stash for just the right one.

She recently purchased a new pair of sunglasses
and crocheted a little keeper for them.
It will protect from "dust and scratches, but not from smashes."
She auditioned many and found the perfect one.

♪ ♪ ♫  ♪♪ ♫  ♫  ♫ ♪♪♪

Hi  Ho  H i Ho ... It's off to sew I go...

... some vintage sheet strips!

♫  ♫ ♪♪♪ ♫ ♫

Have a wonderful afternoon...  Karen

8 comments:

LV said...

You should share all these goodies on Vintage Thursday.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What wonderful goodies, Karen! I adore snack sets, and I'd love to hear your story about your first one.

That's such a cute quilt top. Perfect colors in it. And while I don't have a button collection, I remember my grandmother's which was in a HUGE jar and had all sorts of cool buttons. Sure wish I had it now!

Looks like a great movie and book. Thanks for the tip on that.


Fun post!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Cheryl said...

Your vintage snack sets look perfect on the tabletopper. I also struggle with choosing a quilting pattern and frequently just copy what the designer used. Kate's eyeglass case is perfection!

Sandie ~call me crazy said...

Cute cute cute! Love the snack set!! :-) Love the table topper! I need to get sewing! LOL Have a happy day!

Bill said...

Hi Karen,

Thank you for stopping by and for the lovely comment! I LOVE Candlewick, and I'm always amazed at how such a delicate-looking pattern has survived unscathed through the years. The hutch in the kitchen of the old family farmhouse where I grew up always had one Candlewick bowl and underplate. I thought it might have belonged to my paternal grandmother, but she died very young. Whatever its origin, it still sparkles and is displayed on a bedside table in the guest room, next to the bed where my grandparents slept when my father was a child.

I've passed up many snack sets at thrift and estate sales. Perhaps I'll take a closer look after visiting Briarside Lane!

Have a wonderful rest of the week!
Bill

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I'm drawn to the snack sets too, just so cute! Lovin' that beautiful quilt topper, wow! I wish I had the patience to do something like that:@)

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

Wonderful goodies!!

That sounds like a great movie series...

Kelli said...

Hi, I am a new follower! Found your blog through Slow Poke Quilters. I love it. Winston is so handsome? What kind of dog is he? My bro. had 2 Old English Sheepdogs, he kind of looks like a Sheepie. Also, LOVE the table topper with 30's fabrics. Looking forward to more posts. ;)
Kelli