Wednesday, December 7, 2011

a bit frozen this morning...

Temperatures were in the 20's last night and this morning.
DH didn't turn off the sprinkler system last night.  :-O
The result?
Lower branches of the pines had icicles and the grass was crunchy. 

(click all pics to enlarge)

My computer was frozen, too, for whatever reason this morning 
so I went out to watch the birds.
Coffee and camera in hand, I saw the usual finches and more juncos.
The flickers are back but I didn't get a pic.



Later, while cleaning up from lunch, I noticed this sharp-shinned hawk.
I was even able to sneak out on the patio to get these shots!
It is in the Bur Oak.  The Red Oak still has plenty of leaves.



I believe the hawk heard the mice that are living in the rock wall
and came down in the yard to investigate.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ 

I am gathering projects for the Friday Night Sew-In.

Until next time,
Karen

4 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

That ice-covered pine is pretty but it makes me feel cold looking at it. How I love all your bird pictures! The only pearched bird I have seen today is a Jungle crow!

Sandie ~call me crazy said...

It was colder at your house than mine! We have cloud cover, but no rain. It holds what little heat there is down. :-) Great photo's!

Bridget B said...

It was even colder than in South Dakota. 25º now but is cloudy here also. Love you bird pictures.

corina said...

Your pictures are beautiful! Wish it was as warm here in Winnipeg. We are -5F right now. It's sad to think that in a month, that will seem quite nice! Have a Merry Christmas!