Monday, January 30, 2012

Hoo's in the yard...

This Great Horned Owl was in our pine trees earlier this month.
He is the biggest bird we've seen in our backyard.
We first noticed him about 3 p.m.  The day was overcast and rainy.
We lost sight of him at nightfall...



◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
Yesterday afternoon, this Desert Cardinal (Pyrrhuloxia) made an appearance.




◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
As I have mentioned before,
when one feeds the birds they then become the fed upon.
I was hoping the hawks that frequent the yard were getting the mice.
Not so... this hawk hopped into the oleander to get the finches and sparrows!
I closed the blinds...  :-(


...Karen


2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I love that owl and all the other birds. We have Jungle crows that pick off little birds. They are also very cleaver to open trash and fling it around the neighbourhood.

Cheryl said...

Such cool pictures! Thank you for sharing. Now I know the name of the cardinal I see.