Friday, February 17, 2012

Quilt Show pics...

And I am off again... so enjoy!  Be back next week...

"Spring"
by Krystyna S.
...Best in Show...
...First Place...
...Best Machine Quilting...
Marsha C.
Bernina Sewing & Design Center





♦    ♦    ♦    ♦    ♦
"Still Holding Hands"
...made and quilted by Sally A.
"Created to recognize a tender moment shared by my parents.
They held hands when they walked together---
even after 50+ years of marriage."


♦    ♦    ♦    ♦    ♦

"Dreamcatcher --- Caught a Dream"
...made and quilted by Birgit S.
♦    ♦    ♦    ♦    ♦



♦    ♦    ♦    ♦    ♦

"Sunflowers"
...made and quilted by Charlotte S.
...... First Place ......
"I love the colors and textures of sunflowers and was drawn to the
fabric that could reproduce their sunny, easy faces.
I researched many patterns and tried many techniques for this project.
They are pieced, paper-pieced, appliqued, embroidered,
demure or embellished."







♦    ♦    ♦    ♦    ♦   

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦


Recently, an article about a young bride displaying quilts at her wedding
has been discussed around the internet.  
It seems the professional long arm quilter, who is also a blogger,
was not given credit in a magazine article about this young bride's accomplishments.  
However, I have the magazine and saw that the wedding photo
has the photographer's name... in bold.

All the photos are my blog are taken by me.
There were no signs at this quilt show about photos or publishing them,
however, I do not feel comfortable giving the full names of people.
(It is my understanding photos are not allowed at large shows like Houston.)

I want to give credit where credit is due, and that is why I also
photographed the descriptions of each quilt.
(Unfortunately, some better than others.)

So.......
Any thoughts on naming the quiltmaker or quilter?
...and "borrowing" photos or clipart from blogs or elsewhere to post on your blog?

♦    ♦    ♦    ♦    ♦    ♦    ♦

Last one for the moment.....

"Be Attitudes"
...made by Jolene F.
and
quilted by Kittie S.
"This pattern by Art to Heart is reminiscent of the book,
"Way to Be," by Gordon B. Hinckley,
president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints.
I couldn't resist the idea of Quilt as Teacher."

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
Have a great weekend!
...Karen






7 comments:

Karen said...

I like the quilt with the couple holding hands. I can imagine that it looks very much like the couple and will be a great memory for the family.

I don't really have an opinion on whether a person's full name should be included when you post a picture you have taken at a quilt show. I wouldn't know the person one way or the other. The Houston quilt show allows photographs of some quilts. I think the ones that are not to be photographed are ones that are winners and a photo published in a show book that you can purchase. Last time I was there, there was also a display quilt you could not photograph because there was a booklet published about the piece and it was for sale at the show. Someone can correct me if they know any differently. Some shows do not allow flash photography. I do not think it is proper to use a photograph from a blog on yours without permission.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

What a nice quilt show! Have a fun weekend!

Bridget B said...

Thanks for the quilt show. I wouldn't want my name used but wouldn't be unhappy if someone posted a picture.

Cheryl said...

Interestingly enough, I have found photos taken from my blog on Pinterest...without my permission. Makes me think twice about what I post now!
Thanks for sharing the lovely quilts and the info on their makers.

Kelli said...

Those are soo gorgeous! Thanks for sharing them Karen. I have prob. said this before but I love to visit your blog and see that adorable pic of Winston! :o)

Chris said...

Hi Karen, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Johnny Nutcase said...

Ohh~ That Saguaro scene on the quilt is really nice! So pretty!!