Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Candlewick...

About twenty years ago,
I bought a box of dishes at an estate sale for $30.
The dishes were really cute,
and I had never seen anything like them.
The seller said they were Depression Glass.
That really didn't matter as I just liked them.
The following pieces were in that box.
Imperial Glass Candlewick
Oval Snack Plate / Cup
~Service for 12~

Imperial Glass Candlewick
Oval Snack Plate / Cup

Imperial Glass Candlewick
Divided Celery
Imperial Glass Candlewick
Candy Dish
Imperial Glass Candlewick
Stemmed Compote

The Imperial Glass Company opened its doors 
in 1904 in Bellaire, Ohio.
In 1936, Imperial Glass released what would become
its most successful line:  Candlewick.

By the 1950s, Imperial was producing more
than 200 items in the Candlewick line.

But the 1950s also brought increasing scarcity of
resources and stiff competition from
cheap foreign glassware.
After changing ownership a few times,
the company finally closed in 1984.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

Over the years, I have been gifted a few more pieces.
And I am always on the lookout for them
when I visit my favorite thrift stores.

Imperial Glass Candlewick
Heart Handled Mint Tray
~Birthday gift from my son~

Imperial Glass Candlewick
Plain Top Crimped Vase
~Birthday gift from my son~

Imperial Glass Candlewick
Heart Shape Tidbit
~Birthday Gift from my sister~

Imperial Glass Candlewick ~
Open Sugar with Tray
The sugar I found locally.
The tray was purchased in Havre de Grace, MD
while visiting family.
I am "on a mission" for the creamer.



Imperial Glass Candlewick
Water Goblet stem #400/190
1943-1967

The water goblet above is my latest find... $0.99.
I don't have any Candlewick glassware,
 and this style stem was new to me.

I am particular about how much I am willing
to spend and usually do NOT spend over $5 per piece.
Glassware?  No more than $2.
And buying off the internet takes all the fun
out of searching!

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

If you decide to collect certain pieces of glassware
by certain manufactures, education is key.

The glasses below are sometimes "passed off"
as Candlewick... they are not.
These were made by Anchor Hocking.
The pattern name is "Boopie."

And, yes, I collect these, too!
They look lovely with Candlewick, 
and they are easier to find.

Anchor Hocking "Boopie" pattern glassware
~produced from 1950s to 1970s~

●   ●   ●   ●   ●   ●   ●   ●   ●
'til next time,
Karen

I'm joining...


23 comments:

Pat said...

I love this glassware pattern. I have two iced teas and that is it. Would love to have more. It's beautiful.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Hi Karen! I love candlewick and I have 4 lovely salad plates I found in a thrift store. I have lots of Boopie as it is much easier to find and at a good price. I'm like you I love to hunt for my finds in thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets. Good luck with finding more glassware! hugs, Linda

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Visiting from Let's Dish. I love glass, aren't you glad you bought that box of Candlewick years ago? Beautiful! Pam

Marlis said...

Loved seeing all your pretty depression glass. I really don't know much about it. Thanks for sharing all this with us.. xo marlis

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Very beautiful--I have two little plates from my husband's grandmother and they are pretty. Thanks for sharing! Linda

Sonia said...

Hi Karen,
How fun is your collection!! I love the details around the edges. My great-grandma left me some glassware that is similar...they have little round glass ball feet. I don't know if they are the same..but thanks for sharing this information. I am going to research and see what they are..I have always loved them. I saw the snack sets in a local craft mall not long ago. So cute for a ladies tea!
Have fun collecting!
Miss Bloomers

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Love them all! I haven't been to a thrift shop in ages! :-o I miss my thrifting partner. :-(
Have a great day!

Karen said...

The search is fun. I went to an Imperial outlet store a few times years ago. I don't remember purchasing anything but surely I did. I buy Fenton glass baskets but now Fenton has stopped that part of their business. We have stopped at the Fenton store where the factory is many, many times and made many, many purchases.

kitty said...

Karen, what a fun collection!! I love the candlestick and the boopie. I need to be on the look out. I also saw your pretty St. Pat's quilt.....so gorgeous. I want to check out the Friday night sew-in.

kitty said...

Oh, I'm your newest follower!! Follow me back? :)

Entertaining Women said...

Candlewick is such a wonderful pattern. A set of Candlewick plates is on my "list." Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

Dianne said...

I see Candlewick all the time in my antique rounds. I will definitely keep and eye out for you and let you know when I find something. Dianne

Marigene said...

Wow, you have a wonderful collection of candlewick glass. I remember my mother having the heart dishes in several sizes.

xinex said...

I enjoy searching too to complete a set. Your glass dishes are really pretty.....Christine

Debbie said...

What a treasure trove you found for 30.00! I have always loved it, and I'm glad you educated as to the anchor hocking lookalike. I would probably have not known the difference.

I couldn't agree more about the fun of the hunt and price limit. I'm the same way with the stuff I like to discover.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

I have one piece of candlewick, and bought it at a garage sale for fifty cents. I'll have to go look at it now, and see which piece it is. Thanks for the information!

Kathleen said...

What a great collection, and education. I never heard of Boopie till I read it on blogs. And now I know about Candlewick. I will keep my eyes open for it!
I so agree about the price, it has to be a bargain to come home with me!
Thanks so much for linking this collection to Let's Dish! Can't wait to see what else you will show us!

iSavortheWeekend said...

Ooooo, beautiful!!!! Thank you for leaving a comment on my Meyer Lemon Scones! Greatly appreciate it but please do send me the recipe for Devonshire cream. What exactly is it?? Thanks again :)

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

The Candlewick is really beautiful! What fun to be on the hunt for more! Interesting about the "Boopie" pattern, looks so similar! Funny name! LOL!

Katherine

Judy Bigg said...

Your Candlewick is beautifull, I love it too. Only have a little of it from my Mom but keep my eye open for more. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog.

Rettabug said...

Hi Karen,

Visiting from "Let's Dish" from LAST week & now its almost time for another one!

Delightful photos & information, on both glass patterns. I have always loved those little round ball feet but have only ONE piece of the Boopie. I use it to hold horseradish when we have prime rib, as it is the perfect size.

Your little Winston looks so festive in his Irish attire! I'm going back in your posts to read some more about that beautiful St. Patrick's Day quilt you're making. Its totally awesome from what I saw in the little photos.

fondly,
Rett

Sharon said...

Just beautiful!

Kerry said...

I have my parents' Candlewick they got for their wedding in 1947. It's too pretty to use. I know, I should! Thinking about selling it all. :( I'm almost 60 and have no use for it. It's just so freakin sentimental :)